Saturday, October 08, 2005

Vegan Coconut Flan

I'm making this vegan coconut flan from Dr. Andrew Weil's page.

It sounds good, but I'm afraid there is an error in the amount of agar powder called for, since my flan is not setting up like custard should.

The recipe calls for 2 1/2 cups of liquid and 3/4 teaspoon agar powder or 1 1/2 tablespoons agar flakes.

I used 3/4 teaspoon of agar powder.

According to this page about agar -

1 teaspoon of agar powder equals 1 tablespoon of agar flakes.

You should use 2 teaspoons of powder or 2 tablespoons of flakes per pint of liquid for a firm gel.

1 pint = 2 cups = 16 ounces so...

You should use 1 teaspoon of powder or 1 tablespoon of flakes per cup of liquid for a firm gel.


The coconut flan recipe has 2 1/2 cups of liquid so the correct amount of agar powder is 2 1/2 teaspoons powder or 2 1/2 tablespoons flakes for a firm gel.

I've never used agar before so I'm not sure what a "firm" gel is. Maybe it's too rubbery for a custard like dish.

I'll have to keep experimenting.

____________________________


Postscript - Yummmmmm!

That is a good recipe.

Using 3/4 teaspoon of agar powder resulted in a very light flan/custard like dessert. I didn't unmold it from the custard cup because I didn't think it would stay intact. It tasted really good, but it would have looked nice if I could have flipped it out and let the syrup run over the top.

I think I'll double the agar amount to 1 1/2 teaspoons and see if that keeps it firm enough to flip over, without becoming rubbery.