Sunday, May 08, 2005

Sunday Evening

Nice and quiet around the old homestead today.

Rachel fired up the BBQ and is cooking steaks for her Mom and friends. I was in charge of dessert.




I made two pies, an apple pie with Granny Smith and a strawberry pie with California Strawberries. Local strawberries aren't ripe yet. The 74th annual Marysville Strawberry Festival will kick off on Saturday, June 11th starting with the Tulalip Tribes Salmon Ceremony, and finish up with the Carnival and Market-in-the-Park on Sunday, June 19th. The Grand Parade will be on Saturday, June 18th and has an 8:00 pm start time.

Biringer Farm "PigOut on the Farm" Berry Fest will be held June 18 & 19, 2005 10-5 pm. The farm is located off Hwy 529 between Everett and Marysville.

The pies are good. I still haven't figured out how to make a nice double crust, but they taste great. I used some cranberry vinegar with the strawberries and sugar to give it a slight sweet and sour taste.

Pies are pretty easy to make if you use wax paper or Saran wrap to make the crust on. The hardest thing about making a pie (I think) is the clean-up. If you lay wax paper down for the pie dough and then put a sheet on the top you don't get your counter or your rolling pin all doughy.

I need someone to show me how to roll dough out, or maybe I can read about it somewhere, before I get to the nice double crust pie stage.

-------------------------------


I got the girl's cars gassed and oiled up. Becca's Shadow has been throwing oil out the top of the engine. I figured out today that the valve cover was very loose. Tightened it up and hopefully that will be all it needed.

Rachel's Bonny had a problem with the left rear tail light and turn signal light. Replaced them and still no blinker. The socket was corroded so I soldered a wire on a lamp and spliced it to the power wire, which got it working again.

Feels good to get a few things done to fight the entropic nature of our universe.

Interested in entropy?

This page from a San Narciso Community College site about Thomas Pynchon has a fairly readable description of entropy. Thomas Pynchon is one of the least well known, well known, authors of our time. I found it interesting to learn that he worked as a technical designer at The Boeing Company, for a couple of years, in the early 60's.

-------------------------------

Thomas Pynchon's Books