Monday, May 09, 2005

A Reading in Honor of Pablo Neruda

I particularly like the reading of Pablo Neruda's poem "The Dead Woman" on NPR by Isabelle Allende.

I happened across the reading of Pablo Neruda's poem in a typically circuitous fashion in this modern age of internets and radios.

I was listening to NPR this morning and heard a man read an essay he had submitted for an NPR series called "This I Believe". I looked at the NPR page and found I liked Isabelle Allende's essay. Then going backwards I found her reading of the Pablo Neruda poem. I'm explaining? this in apology for the all-over-the-map quality of some of my writing.

Without further ado, here is Isabelle Allende's thoughtful essay for the NPR series "This I Believe", titled -

In Giving I Connect with Others.


Link to other essays from the NPR series This I Believe.




------------------------------------




-----------------------------------


Interesting interview with Linda Ellerbee on NPR's All Things Considered about her new book "Take Big Bites: Adventures Around the World and Across the Table."

Makes me want to travel somewhere. Linda Ellerbee celebrated her 60th birthday by walking the length of the river Thames. Cool.

She also talks about the educational and spiritual aspects of travel, meeting new people, trying new foods; learning, getting older. She says she occasionally likes to travel alone, both because her husband is getting a little tired of traveling and because it gives her a chance to focus on the newness of the place she is visiting rather than concentrating on traveling partner(s).





-----------------------------------


Wishing you a great Monday kind and gentle reader.

May all your travels be good ones.

Maybe start from the inside and travel outward...as they say -

Wherever you go there you are