Sunday, September 05, 2004

Please Send Me Your AOL Shiny CD's - Jazzin Up the Blog - Exciting Ride Stories

If you would send me all your AOL disks that you've received in the mail I'd really appreciate it. I think the bus will look pretty snazzy once it's covered with a few thousand shiny disks. Plus it will keep things a lot cooler in the summer.



Cafe Jack's Goin Mobile - As Soon As I Get a Few Things Fixed


I learned how to put that little piece of text on the bus from

Mandarin Design. Web and Blog Design and Development.

Some day I may work my way up to columns. My blog needs a little pizazz I think. The folks at Mandarin Design can help me I bet.


Sometimes all we need is a big first letter for a paragraph. No drop cap, just a big cap. It looks best when followed by way too much text.



Way to much text you say? Sure I can do that.

----------------------------------------------------

I try to keep my log pretty simple visually. I like pictures. Not so hot on pop-ups, songs, scrolling text, blinking stuff, text over pictures (whoops) and really small text. Not that all those things don't have their place. Just not on this old log right now. Maybe if I run out of words.

----------------------------------------------------


Vote for somebody.



I just can't get too excited about anybody right now. I might vote for John Kerry's wife. I like her independence. I like the fact that Utne Reader named her one of America's 100 great visionaries in 1995.

Utne quotes her as saying "She views her prolific philanthropy as a way of "fixing things" that is more effective than political campaigns, which are in her words, "the graveyard of real ideas and the birthplace of empty promises."

But not this year.....

Still, the woman behind the man can make the man. Not to say anything bad about Laura Bush, she seems like a nice lady, good mom, wife, ex-librarian. But I like the idea of a really independent (financially) woman like Theresa Heinz-Kerry backing a candidate. Maybe the only people besides those of us who elect him, that he really will have to answer to is her?

That would be interesting. Someone who isn't beholden to BigCo. Not gonna happen, but interesting to think about.





-------------------------------------------------------

It's 2:02 am so the bars are all closed. What to do?

Did I ever tell you about the time I crashed into a bank with the back of my car? I wasn't intoxicated. It wasn't a holdup. I was stuck.

I'd got off my bartending job and it was after 2 am on a cold cold cold Montana night. No one was in town. No one was driving on mainstreet. I'd parked my car head first diagonally at the curb in front of the bar. There was a slight downslope so the nose of the car was lower than the tail.

I fire up my rig (Vega station wagon) put it in reverse gear and the back tire just spins on the ice.

I'm stuck.

It's freezing cold. No one around...no one to call.

I decided to leave my car in reverse gear, get out, push, and once the car gets going jump in, and TAKE OFF.

It seemed like a good idea at the time. Unfortunately once I got the Vega moving it took off without me. It made a big U turn going backwards out on Main Street and ended up rearending the Bank.

Good thing that bank was made of granite. All that I had to show for that little miscalculation was a dent in my rear bumper. It was exciting.

---------------------------------------------------------

Almost as exciting as the time I was riding with some boys who accidently crashed into the bowling alley while burning a donut in the parking lot. I'll never forget the look on that old waitresses face as the rear tires of the pickup hit the logs used as barriers/parking stops, bumped over them and broke through the window. She ran off. We drove off, then decided it would be best to fess up and claim it was just bad driving. And maybe a couple too many Rainiers.

Another time I was riding with those boys and we drove into an irrigation ditch. It was only a couple of feet deep. I remember the beer bottles floating around in the back seat where I was sitting. We got a tow and went on our way.

Not much to do in a small town in Montana but drink and drive.

There's a lot of stuff to do. I was just to stupid to know it at the time.

------------------------------------------------------------
Other exciting rides...

Riding TP while he tried to brush you off by running under low branches on the pine trees. Or buck you off if you tried to make him cross a bridge.

Riding a horse bareback if you don't know how to ride bareback and you're on a gravel road...sliding around the horse and your back is about to contact the gravel.

Riding a minibike with no throttle. Well actually with full throttle but not knowing how to make it stop.

Landing in a Piper Cub in a field and coming to a stop a couple of feet from a big old boulder type rock.

Riding on a 737 in a turning stall with an inexperienced government pilot at the controls. Airplane turns upside down, engines cut out...lose altitude. Have to go home to check for structural damage. Yikes that was a little too scary even for me.

Riding a motorcycle on a busy California freeway, weaving in out of traffic and burning your shoe off when it comes into contact with the tire of a car your racing. Try putting your shoe on a tire rotating 100 mph and see if it starts to smoke.

Skiing down a nice Montana ski slope..fast.

Getting pulled behind a pickup on a toboggan on a snowy road...fast.

Sliding down a ice field on a steep mountain on your belly with an ice ax trying to arrest your slide/fall before you hit the rocks at the bottom.

I love scary rides.

Or maybe more truthfully, I used to love scary rides. Now I kind of like sitting in my recliner and thinking about scary rides.