Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Durian First Bite

I got to try my first taste of durian today.

A coworker brought in a package of two frozen durian fruits. It was sweet. Creamy. Sticky. With a really strong smell.

I can see why people like it. It would be an acquired taste like so many things. You would have to get eat it and appreciate the flavor without concentrating on the smell. If you just smelled it (like blue cheese or cabbage or cauliflower or frying fish or vinegar) and didn't taste it, it probably wouldn't appeal to you.

I had my first bite outside in the breeze so I got a taste of the flavor before the smell hit me. When I got it home I felt like eating the whole thing but left some for sharing. Not sure if I can get anyone else at Cafe Jack's to give it a whirl. I'd like to try making some durian milk shakes or smoothies.

It was very nice of Hien to bring it in for us to try. I love to try new things to eat.

--------------------------------------------
We decorated a cube at work today for a friend's 50th birthday tomorrow. It looks nice and shiny. I think he will like it. I'm guessing he may want to leave it the way it is. We used about 1100 square feet of tinfoil.

It was fun!


Shiny New Cube

--------------------------------------------
I'm taking Betsy to the airport in the morning. She's going to meet some school friends in Santa Barbara for a long weekend reunion. She's good about keeping in touch with her friends.

Becca is heading down to PLU to visit Rachel. I'll just hang around and take some naps and read. I might try to help a friend figure out why their Earthlink connection isn't working. Maybe try to get some work done if I can get fired up.

--------------------------------------------


I hope this has been a good week for you so far.

As Louis Armstrong said and sang it so well, it really is a Wonderful World. We need to take the time to smell the air, see the clouds, feel the sun...appreciate being here. Easier said then done given our hectic pace.

Here's the Interlude Thought of the Day

Peace to you.