Friday, September 17, 2004

Good Iraqi Food at the Halal Market - The Circus Came to Town - Pita King

Oh my my my. If you want something tasty and different try the Colby Halal Market across from the Flying Pig. I ate lunch there yesterday with some friends. It was very good. We had lamb kebobs, grilled tomato, onion, and lemon in pita bread. And strong chai in glasses for desert. It's at 2932 Colby Avenue in Everett, WA. Call ahead to 425-783-0383 to let them know you are coming or to order out. I see they offer a whole lamb for parties of 50 for that special occasion.

Yum. A nice change from the ordinary. Simple food, good ingredients and nice people.

-----------------------------------------------

Went to see the Circus train come to town. Didn't see any PETA's; or elephants, lions tigers or bears for that matter. They were unloading the train for the circus walk at 1 pm and I had another appointment (my job). What I did see were lots of little kids and moms, some dads and senior citizens. All very excited to see the animals come off the train.

The train looked like a good way to travel to me. I've been reading a little about elephants. The ones that came to town are Asian elephants (smaller) rather than their bigger cousins from Africa. Elephants have fascinated people throughout time. They have good memories, strong family bonds and are hard workers.

Babar is a famous elephant and of course Dumbo (1941) and Jumbo - The Elephant who toured with the 19th century Barnum and Bailey Circus, later to become Ringling Bros. Barnum and Bailey.

If you visit India you can ride an elephant on the beach. If you go at the right time, you might also get to participate in Festival of Ganesh the elephant God.

Here's the Everett Herald article about The Circus Walk

---------------------------------------------
Although I missed seeing any PETA protestors we did see a local protestor yesterday. She's an older lady that I've seen holding various incomprehensible signs around town in the past. The one she had up yesterday said something like "PROTEST WANDA". Made no sense. She always makes me smile a little, seems to be enjoying herself. She doesn't look mad, just sort of mischievious. What the heck she's out getting fresh air, adding to the ambience, not hurting anyone. I'd like to talk to her sometime (maybe). She might be a bit of a wild one.

---------------------------------------------

Went to see the PITA KING yesterday. He wasn't there but one of the princesses was in.

My good friend Baba Ghanoush and I picked up some little pitas (fresh out of the oven), Tzatziki Sauce, baba ghanoush (that must be where his name came from), good lebanese tahini, chickpeas and the grillable Cyprus cheese halloumi.

We were considering buying one of the hookahs to use during smoke breaks at work...but since neither of us smoke decided against it. Those things do look cool though. Maybe I'll get a chance to smoke off someone elses sometime. I'll keep an eye on the loading dock where people smoke at work, just in case someone brings one in.

I'm on the 40 year stop smoking plan. That's the one where you smoke cigs, switch to a pipe, cigar, smokeless tobacco and then repeat it every 5 years. I've gone nicotine free for a few years. Back on the smokeless now. Gotta have some vices.

-------------------------------------------------

I hope the tuna haven't got word that I'm heading to the coast this weekend. I'm staying at a place called Harbor Resort in the marina. Looking forward to the views, sights, sounds, smells.

My plan is fish for tuna, fish for tuna, buy tuna at Safeway, come home.

In my fishermanly optimism I have actually procured a brand new used 30 dollar freezer, which is waiting for the tuna I catch with Dave Camp skipper for Cachalot Charters. This is going to be fun. It will just be 6 fishermen and women on that big boat. We get to use live anchovies. There's a picture of Rosie on the home page for Cachalot. Rosie was on the boat last time when my wife and I went salmon fishing. She had brought her 6 or 7 year old grandson with her. He was having a ball.

Looking forward to this Friday. Should be a good one. Hope you have a fine weekend to relax, refresh and re-create.