Sunday, December 12, 2004

Today's Breakfast Special




Good morning fellow traveler.

I know a man named leg who doesn't have any legs.

He's a happy good fellow nonetheless.

He gave me a dozen fresh eggs from his chickens.

They are nice and yellow. Very rich my wife says.

I was thinking maybe I'd make a quiche with the eggs but wasn't sure how to spell it. So I decided to make something up called Odd Kitsch Eggdish instead, in honor of the Norwegian painter and Kitsch activist Odd Nerdrum. Maybe while your waiting for it to bake you would like to look at some of Odd's Paintings?

Here's the recipe -

You'll need -

Fresh eggs

Diced onion

Slices of cheese

A crust (I made mine with flour, Crisco and water). I didn't feel like the mess of rolling it out so I cut the flour/Crisco/water together with a fork and then pushed it around the bottom of my Kitsch pan with my fingers.

Browned link sausage, Perhaps you can read All About Sausage while you are thinking about it. You could use ham or SPAM. I was watching Chris Rock on Comedy Central last night. For some reason when I woke up this morning I feel like swearing a lot m)*)(^^)er. He's funny. He was talking about how we have too much food in America. How people in other countries would love to have some of what we consume. Red meat kills? Some hungry person thinks, "Hell no if you can find a good piece of red meat eat it." "Red meat don't kill you...green meat might." But back to the recipe.

So you beat up some eggs, make a crust, put in the eggs, browned sausage links, some cheese, diced onions, salsa on top for color, pepper and parmesean cheese. I think that's it. Don't forget to bake it for an hour or so at about 350F.

While it's baking let's read a little more Odd Nerdrum on Kitsch.

Odd's so bummed he's going to become a citizen of Iceland instead of Norway. Read more in the Aftenposten Norway, Norwegian news in English. Plus they have a picture of pretty girl in a sweater..

Okay let's run through the steps. This ain't no Betty Crocker: Quiche Lorraine. Not that Betty doesn't have nice Quiche thing going.

Whip up the eggs, make the crust in the bottom of your baking container. I put butter around the edges of the pan.

Put browned links on top of your crust. I poured the sausage grease on the crust because my Doctor told me my cholesterol is too low...can you believe it?.

Then pour the eggs on top of that.




Add slices of cheese and diced onion.




Salsa for color.




A little parmesean cheese and pepper.




Can I get you a slice?




Maybe with a nice cup of fresh ground Peet's Coffee or tea?

Have a great Sunday.

Peace to you and yours.

------------------------------------
Note - My wife also tells me my writing "I know a man named leg he doesn't have any." isn't clear. Here's some clarification - I work with a man named Leg and he doesn't have any legs. He did give me the eggs I used. He is a nice funny guy. Never complains at work. His legs are missing up to his hips, but he walks well on two artificial limbs. I didn't even know he didn't have legs until one day I saw him sitting in a wheelchair without the artificial legs on. He must of been having them repaired. Anyway he's a great example for anyone who thinks they have some thing to complain about...