Tuesday, December 07, 2004

I Like The Quiet and the Cold - Sometimes

I do wish we could get some snow. I miss the crystal cold air sometimes that we'd get in Montana or Minnesota. Other times not so much.

A few years back I was on a test flight where we flew over to Glasgow Montana in the winter months. It was a balmy 50 or so in Seattle area. I was in my shirt sleeves on the plane. When I stepped off for a minute in Glasgow and that cold wind hit me I thought maybe I don't really miss this weather that much.

I remember the coldest days in Fargo when it was almost painful to go out to your car. The seats would crackle with the cold and it was hard to breathe the cold dry air. That wind would cut through you. People say there's no bad weather only bad clothes. I agree for the most part but when it's 30 below and the wind's blowing you need some darn good clothes.

The hassle is; say you are going to the movie, you don't really feel like dressing up in arctic gear to run out to your car.

I like weather extremes to a point, as long as they don't blow the roof off my house, flood me or freeze me. Love a good thunderstorm or nice big snow or the smell of a rain. The quiet after a snow.

I found San Diego weather pretty boring when I was down there in the Navy. No real seasons. Seattle is a little like that although it's weather can surprise you every so often. I can't complain it's really a nice place to live.

----------------------------------