Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Reading And Dreaming

I've collected some things for those of us (like me) who have some time off for reading and dreaming.

---------------------------

Reading

Thoughts of exciting new fruits and vegetables for Spring 2005 abound in the Burpee catalog.

The Site as Self - Swarthmore College Bulletin is oldish now (September 2001) but still interesting to me...it led me to Justin's Links.

Brevity: A Journal of Concise Literary Nonfiction has some short short stories. I bet I could learn something there about writing in a more Hemingwayesque style...instead of my usual rambling.


We could look at some nice covers at the Fence edited by Rebecca Wolff. There's some great writing behind those covers...I really like these two -

Fence v.6 n.1 | Jeff Johnson

Fence 13 | Lisa Beskin


BIGSMALLPRESSMALL has more information about Fence and some other small publishers. Of course Utne Reader is a good source for niche publications.


No lazy reading day would be complete without the The New Yorker. Online web magazines are fine but I like the paper copy of magazines that have good reading material, like the New Yorker, that takes any time to read.

I used to like to read paper copies of The Village Voice that I would buy at Poor Richard's, a good bookstore in Bozeman Montana.

---------------------------

Speaking of Montana....

This Montana Historical Society pamphlet is provided for your walking tour of Bozeman Montana. I like the black and whites of Charlie Russell's paintings in this Family Guide to the MacKay Gallery of C.M. Russell Art. It's intended for Grades 2-3 children to - "Uncover stories about cowboys, Indians, and animals in Charlie Russell's art, as well as how paintings can express emotions and communicate sensory messages."


Other pamphlets for guided tours can be found at Montana Historical Society - Guided Tours

For when you get tired of reading, here's a colorful Montana is for Kids! page and a Live controllable Sky Cam in Bozeman Montana to play with


---------------------------

Dreaming

It's fun to dream about being a writer or an artist of some sort. What would be really cool for a writer or artist?

Here's some dreamy things -

Being chosen as an Artist-In-Residence for the National Park Service.

If the National Park Service isn't your cup of tea there are a lot of other Poets & Writers Conferences or Residencies you could look into.

Here's another good list of potential Artist's Residencies.

How about a Summer Literary Seminars in St. Petersburg, Russia?

It's fun to dream, but I'll keep my day job and take some mini-breaks when I can. I love what I do, whatever it may be. I'm afraid I'd be overwhelmed by my insecurity if I ever got around real true artists or writers.

I think I'll go dream about fishing or being a cowboy for awhile now.

Have a good night.