Sunday, December 26, 2004

It's The Space In Between


I think my style is more is better rather than
less is more.

That's why I'm no good at flower arranging.
Have you ever been to the Filling Station in Bozeman Montana? It was (maybe is) a bar that is full of license plates and other assorted stuff.

I like a bunch of stuff around me...prefer it to be neatly arranged. Maybe with some interesting color or texture or history to it.

The New Atlas Bar in Columbus, Montana where I worked as a bartender was such a place.




John Smart took that picture of me in my apron and tie many moons ago. He takes other pictures of things too, like The Jersey Lilly Bar in Ingomar Montana. That's where my dad's family lived at one time. Not in Ingomar but on a sheep ranch in that area. Ingomar was the nearest town. The picture of the Jersey Lilly was taken during a parade :-)

I see Ingomar's population is 19. That's a small town even for Montana. The town where I grew up had over 1000 people...still plenty of space in between in good old Montana though.

The New Atlas Bar was full of animal heads, a two-headed calf, an albino deer, old cigar lighter, old books, old pictures and old people.

That's sort of my style; more is better, rather than less is more.

That's why I'm no good at flower arranging. I can't see the spaces.

Some people say it's what's not there, or the space in between, that's important.


-----------------------------------

The text above is an example of a color pull quote I got from Mandarin Design.