Thursday, November 18, 2004

Summon Out What I Shall Be

Those words come from a hymn/prayer/chant written by John L. Bell. It's a simple song.


Take oh take me as I am
Summon out what I shall be
Set your seal upon my heart
And live in me.

John L. Bell,
Iona Community Peace Institute


You can listen to the song here.

I was lucky to be able to participate in a retreat at Holden Village several years ago where this song was sung. We were in a beautiful chapel in the mountains at night. This song was part of an Advent service, the chapel was dark except for one candle which was used to light the candle of each of the participants while this song was sung. It was very moving.

I highly recommend Holden Village if you ever get a chance to visit. Nice people and good food, in a beautiful remote setting in the Cascade mountains.

---------------------------------------


Last night I heard Ken Tucker on NPR Fresh Air comment that Universal United House of Prayer - Buddy Miller "harks back to a time before singing about Jesus and giving yourself over to a higher power was hijacked by the politicized Christian right".

Something rings true about that.

Here's a link to the NPR Review of Buddy Miller's 'House of Prayer'

I want to get the CD.

I like the cover picture too.

I was thinking when I was at Holden how cool it was that there were so many different kinds of people there. Gay, straight, wounded, healing, in recovery...you name it. For me that's what Christianity is about...we are all in this together.