Friday, November 19, 2004

Have You Ever Noticed?

How sometimes when you profess some thing it really means just the opposite is true?

I think that's why some people have such a hard time with people who are "saved". We know we aren't perfect. We are human creatures, always a work in progress.

If I come across as someone who is not a sinner please accept my regrets. I consider myself someone who is trying to get better. In some sense we are all in recovery.

Were all sinners and yet all saints. Don't ask me how that works I just accept it.

Love your neighbor as yourself.

Sounds so simple. But how hard. Loving yourself so so hard. Thinking of my past, reminds me of the Randy Newman song Guilty where he sings -

You know, you know how it is with me baby
You know, I just can’t stand myself
And it takes a whole lot of medicine
For me to pretend that I’m somebody else


Then the challenge of loving your neighbor. Especially that less than lovable neighbor.

One thing I can console myself with is that "loving" in this sense doesn't mean romantic love or sometimes even being "nice".

I love my kids but I'm not always "nice". You have to stand up for, and communicate, what you think is right. Sometimes disagree, sometimes agree. Try to do it in an agreeable way...but that isn't always possible.

One philosophy I live by is "if you play nice I'll play nice." As I age I have more patience with people who aren't playing nice before I bring out the not nice persona. In a sense this philosophy leads me to conclude that the fact that I punch someone in the nose (not literally these days..more like a verbal punch) doesn't mean I don't love them...just that they had it coming.

hmmmmmmmmmmm

I'm still working on it.

--------------------------------
In my rambling way I was thinking about people who profess, for example, to be hard workers, or good lovers or really smart.

Generally speaking it seems like just the opposite may be true. Sort of a The lady doth protest too much, methinks deal.