Sunday, March 18, 2007

Nobody Can Sleep Anymore

At least that's the way it seems if you look at the ads on television and in magazines for prescription and non-prescription sleep aids.

Ambien, Sonata, Lunesta, Rozerem, Dalmane, Restoril, and ProSom are some of the prescription medications available. Over-the-counter medications include - Sleep-Eze, Tylenol PM, Simply Sleep, Sominex, Nytol, and Unison.

So what's going on?

Off the top I think it may be a combination of overweight, overly caffeinated, under-exercised people who want a quick-fix easy solution (at least that's what's going on for me).

I've enjoyed insomnia for years. Never did much like going to bed - there's too much to miss, while you are asleep - plus the nighttime and early morning is a great time to think or just look around. Nowadays though when I watch television I get the feeling I need to buy something or have my doctor prescribe something.

I take some sleep aids now and then - because I have to go to work and don't have the luxury of sleeping when I'm tired. I still like my grandmother's advice to have some warm milk (soy nowadays) and remind myself that even though I may not be able to immediately go to sleep I'm still resting.