Thursday, May 25, 2006

Small Strokes

I was driving to work this morning and a group of school kids were crossing the cross walk. I'm guessing they were about six years old. I waited patiently until the crossing guard gave me the go ahead. I know this sounds sort of goofy, but she gave me a nice smile and wave and it actually brought a tear to my eye.

It just seemed like such a nice small simple gesture. I'm sure she thought nothing of it and had no idea her small act of kindness made my morning much more pleasant.

We may think we need to offer a grand act of kindness to make a difference, but sometimes the smallest act - a smile, a kind word, a wave - can make a huge difference in someone's day.

The nice thing about setting our sights on small acts of kindness is that we are free to do something rather than waiting for the moment, which may never arrive, when the grand act becomes possible.