Saturday, May 06, 2006

Advantages of Being Nobody

One thing about not having a title is that you can be whoever you want to be - act however you want to act - do whatever you want to do - say whatever you want to say. If you are a king you have to act kingley, professors have to act professorly, businessmen - businessmanly, lawyers have to act lawyerly, bums - bumly....etc. etc. etc..

My mother would have liked me to be a priest. In some ways I probably have some of the traits that would make a good priest. Thankfully I am not. I can say priestly things or act like a priest if I feel like it, but being nobody allows me to act like a bum if I feel like it. I'm not talking about a bad bum e.g. a jerk - but rather someone dressed shabbily who you might see talking to themselves and picking up shiny things on the sidewalk. I can swear, I can drink, I can run amuck...whatever I want to do - because I'm nobody.