Monday, April 04, 2005

Sometimes It's Peaceful: Blog of the day: CafeJack

My Cafe got to be blog of the day. :-)

I have to say Gill, the author "Sometimes It's Peaceful", has good taste and is a darn good writer.

Truth be told I ran across Gill's blog "Sometimes It's Peaceful" on Google and was afraid to see what someone might have written about this old place of mine. Thank goodness it was nice. I imagine I'm not unlike some other thoughtful people who like to write, in that I tend towards a mixture of egotism and insecurity.

Sometimes It's Peaceful: Blog of the day: CafeJack

------------------------------------

I'm reading some books by and about Will Rodgers, James Thurber and E.B. White right now. Well not right this minute but I have them placed strategically around the house for picking up and reading.

Those three guys, especially Will Rodgers and E.B. White are amazing to read about. James Thurber comes across a little harsh in the initial piece of the book I'm reading, with a condescending attitude towards women...I didn't recall that from other pieces of his. I'll have to keep reading to see how it goes.

------------------------------------

I watched a good movie today called The Motorcycle Diaries. It's in Spanish with subtitles but you hardly notice, it's so beautiful and the story so interesting.

Two friends set off on a long journey through South America and discover new things about themselves and their country that turn out to be life-altering. It's a story based on the early life of revolutionary Che Guevara (before he went to Cuba). There are some wonderful sights in the movie including the scenes around Machu Picchu. The music in the movie is very nice as well, especially the song at the ending credits.

This is the Amazon.com review of the Motocycle Diaries from Bret Fetzer -

"The beauty of the South American landscape and of Gael Garcia Bernal (Y Tu Mama Tambien, Bad Education) gives The Motorcycle Diaries a charisma that is decidedly apolitical. But this portrait of the young Che Guevara (later to become a militant revolutionary) is half buddy-movie, half social commentary--and while that may seem an unholy hybrid, under the guidance of Brazillian director Walter Salles (Central Station) the movie is quietly passionate. Guevara and his friend Alberto Granado (Rodrigo de la Serna, a lusty and engaging actor) set off from Buenos Aires, hoping to circumnavigate the continent on a leaky motorcycle. They end up travelling more by foot, hitchhiking, and raft, but their experience of the land and the people affects them profoundly. No movie could affect an audience the same way, but The Motorcycle Diaries gives a soulful glimpse of an awakening social conscience, and that's worth experiencing." --Bret Fetzer


The 1939 Norton 500 motorcycle they were riding was a nice looking machine. I couldn't find a good picture but here's a 1936 norton model that looks pretty close. The movie really brings to mind the adventure and beauty of traveling by motorcycle.

Here's a couple of links to the soundtrack and the DVD.



------------------------------------

My maternal grandfather John Williams, although not a revolutionary, did have a nice motorcycle in the 1930's. His was a Harley Davidson. My Gram, his wife, was a school teacher. She told me they would ride all around the lake country where they lived near Eau Clare Wisconsin, go on picnics, ride in his speedboat and do fun things with a club of other Harley riders.

He was an interesting fellow that I never got to meet. He built his own speedboat which we have a nice picture of with him in it, and a small electric car for my Mom Virginia and her sister Rebecca that they could drive when they were little girls.

He was killed in a motorcycle accident. My Gram told me a carload of women who had been drinking pulled out in front of him and he didn't have a chance. That was many years ago. Gram made a good life for herself and her daughters and taught school for many years in Montana. She loved kids and particularly liked to help kids who were struggling a bit. Her teaching specialty in later years was remedial reading. I learned a lot about loving life from her. She was a key part of my youth. Very kind and also very feisty, outspoken and independent woman. I was very lucky to be close to her.

--------------------------------------------

I have to wrap this up for tonight and head off to bed now.

Wishing you a good start to the new week kind and gentle reader.

Remember to breathe deeply and enjoy the journey.