Tuesday, April 26, 2005

No-Bake Cookies - Homemade Power Bars

I've been fiddling around with raw oatmeal lately to see if I can come up with something tasty that doesn't require cooking.

I think somewhere in my dim memories there was a time my older sister made no-bake cookies learned either from her 4-H or Girl Scout experiences. They tasted pretty good. There's a number of no-bake recipes at Scouting Web Cooking.

Here's what I'm using right now for the base of my no-bake cookies which could also be called homemade power bars -

Oats
Honey
Peanut Butter

Use whatever proportions you like.

I'd recommend using a good honey and peanut butter. It's amazing the difference in tastes of honey. I had some regular commercial grade honey that was called "clover" honey. I did a side by side taste test with some local "fireweed" honey and some "blackberry" honey. Both the locals tasted better to me (sweeter with a flower after taste maybe?).

I'd use a good peanut butter too. Not one with partially hydrogenated oils. Something like Adams or one you grind yourself at a grocery store.

You can add whatever might taste good to you to the base mixture. Maybe chocolate? Berries?

I added some frozen blueberries, strawberry preserves and water. I would have used fruit juice but I didn't have any handy. I put the mixture on a piece of tinfoil, stuck it in the oven to warm up, so the ingredients were nice and pliable and the blueberries would melt. You could skip the oven step if you were more patient.

After I mush all that stuff together I'm going to wrap my bars in individual squares of waxed paper and probably keep them in the refrigerator (although they should be fine sitting out given the ingredients).