Saturday, February 19, 2005

Verizon Lost My Data

One man's tale of woe in dealing with the bureaucracy inside a huge conglomerate corporation.

Verizon Lost My Data in December of 2004 and they still haven't found it. The official explanation is "their server's went down in December".

All I can say is I'm glad Verizon.net doesn't host Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Blogger, My Bank Account or any other data I really care about. They have been telling me the webspace was "free" (what do you expect for nothing?). In the case of Gmail or Blogger or Hotmail or Picasa or Hello it turns out we have come to expect a lot.

Actually what Verizon.net was providing me was not free. It was part of a DSL package and I was paying them extra for additional webspace. But even if it was "free" it's simply unconscionable to allow people to think they have a secure storage area when in fact it isn't. I lost hundred(s)? of hours of work. I don't know how many other people were impacted.

I'm turning on comments on this post in hopes that someone from Verizon can come up with a rational explanation for what happened to their web servers in December and their response to the users who lost data. I have very little confidence that anyone would be able to make any kind of statement publically...but who knows? I've gotten 50,000 page views on this site so far this month, maybe someone from Verizon who knows the scoop will pass by.

I've talked to more people than I care to admit via phone and Email in attempts to get a resolution to this issue, from what I thought was an honorable company with a good name. I love my Verizon DSL service. I know, and have known, a variety of phone system employees that are good honorable people.

I'm not saying anything bad about any individual at Verizon. It's the Company that's responsible for ensuring they provide the services people pay for. There's something seriously wrong with the management of any company that forgets "It's the Customer First". It might work for awhile to ignore the customer but in a competitive arena, such as supplying web servers, a Company will quickly lose their market share.

------------------------------------------------

I don't know if everyone is aware but Verizon's headquarters are in New York City. In the event you ever want to call, write or visit The Better Business Bureau National Information System is a good place to start in contacting Verizon.

-------------------------------------------------

Through the wonders of the internets I was able to find this picture of what appears to be a group of Verizon employee's in New York City searching for my site from the top of a skyscraper. ;-)


unknown artist, Lunch on a Skyscraper




Yahoo! Web Hosting



Kenneth Cole Sale


Click here to save up 50% on your next meal!!!