Sunday, January 15, 2006

Self Taught Folk Art

It's fun to look at some of the colorful, interesting, pieces that self-taught Folk Artists create.

I think it gives regular people hope to see other regular people making things they like, and we may as well depending on personal taste, whether we call it "art" or not.

The creator of the webpage has this to say,

"This art should be judged for the pleasure it brings the viewer, not for its financial worth. If you like a piece, if it makes you happy, then it's a valuable piece. Having occasionally briefly worked in a gallery, I can't tell you how many customers asked me which piece was "worth more". My answer then, as it is now, is that the piece you like the best is worth the most.

For me, this type of art has a visceral appeal. It strikes me on an almost cellular level, rather than on an intellectual one. You should never let anyone else tell you what's "good" and what has "value". There are many well known artists whose work draws huge prices that do absolutely nothing for me. And there are artists that I find appealing who aren't favored by the big shot critics. Buy for yourself, as you're the person who will have to look at the art every day."