Thursday, December 29, 2005

Yurt, Kayak Point, Pie and Us

Just a few photos I took during this holiday season. I spent a couple of days at the Kayak Point Yurt camp. It was very quiet. The yurts are sort of in between camping and staying in a motel. They have an electric - heater, outlet and light. They would sleep about five. Water is available. There is a shower and bathroom shared by all the yurters. It's a cool place to hang out (literally and figuratively), but I was glad to get back (don't want to be too much of a hermit during the holidays).

I carried our dried out Christmas tree in my pickup, cut it into little pieces and burned it at the park. Sort of a ritual...plus it burned like crazy with the dried out needles and all the sap on it.

I went to midnight Mass at St. James Cathederal in Seattle on Christmas eve, something I've wanted to do for awhile. It was very nice. I got a standing room-only spot on the side of the altar in an open doorway. Perfect view of a candle and the crucifix, plus I could move around and breathe/feel the cool air. Sort of an odd reason to go to Mass but I really wanted to smell the incense (mission accomplished).

The final pictures are me, Rachel, Becca and Betsy and some pictures of an apple and cherry pie I made for a pre-Christmas party and to celebrate R&B coming home from college.


Yurt

Inside the yurt

Looking up at the ceiling of the yurt

Yurt camp

These yurts are really nice structures. Wooden floors, waterproof, electric light and heat.

Between the rains the sky was very blue

Christmas tree fire

The forest is very wet so making big campfires is okay

There's a fairly steep trail to the beach from the yurts

Poplars grow fast, they like water and make pretty good windbreaks

End of the pier

600 Pound Octopuses Live in Puget Sound

Nobody on the pier today to read the rules

An easier way is to know someone who likes to clean fish

I like this one

This is a mussel shell

Beginning of a fort

Small castle

Glad Rachel and Becca are home

An apple and a cherry pie

I used Fuji's and Granny Smith's in the pie

Lots of cherries

Me & B

R&B&B