Friday, January 14, 2005

Another Good Friday

There all good I think.

I was pondering how complex, and interesting, people's lives are. Without too much thinking I can come up with a variety of people I know, or have known, to one degree or another who have amazing stories to tell.

This particular morning I was thinking about people who have difficulty in their lives. Of course that includes everyone to one degree or another. The ones I find most interesting are those with a high degree of difficulty or challenge. Or something out of the ordinary.

I wish I could collect verbal stories from people and put them in written form. Maybe they could use them, or their children, or other people; for learning about how to live a good life. Or just learning about life.

I'd have to anonomize (is that a word?) some of them. Besides the people I currently know, I wish I would have had the chance to get a record either in writing or by verbal recording of people I've known that aren't around any more. c'est la vie

--------------------------------------------------

Shifting gears here.

"If they don't fit grind-em", as Mom used to say.

I've been thinking about something that seems sort of absurd, maybe humorous.

I got a small battery operated indoor rock garden water fountain from my sister for Christmas. It's called the "Serenity Fountain". I should say it was called the serenity fountain, that is until somehow it got broken at work. I think someone may have accidently dropped it or knocked it off my desk. Whatever, it's no big deal.

In my warped sense of humor it seemed funny to think of an incident where someone's serenity fountain got broken and then they went on a rampage.

I told you it may be humorous...enough running amuck at work fantasies for now I guess.

---------------------------------------------------

I think we should stop donating blood.

We're undercutting poor people who sell blood.

That idea should go over like a lead balloon eh?

I think there's a couple things going on for my warped self that makes me come up with such a stupid idea (a) I can't give blood because of the therapeutic rat poison I take and (b) I get a little weary of people who give blood and talk about giving blood and what a good person people are who give blood. Well maybe just one person.

Give all the blood you want...just shut the hell up around me okay?

I need another serenity fountain.

One other thing...

We have an old PA system in the building I work in. I'm not sure why. The only thing it's used for is for some lady to announce that a blood drive is taking place several times a week. I think that adds to my blood anger because I know I can't participate.

---------------------------------------------------

I'm getting near the end of "Gilead". It's a nice story about an old man who is writing a letter to his young son. The old man is nearing death and wants to leave a story of his life for his son.

It's a slow moving story. It reminds me of watching a baseball game, or better yet listening to one on a lazy day. Nice and quiet. Slow...relaxing.

The old man is a third generation minister but the story isn't written in a "ministerial" style (I'm making words up this morning). It's thoughtful or thoughtfilled with an interesting storyline about a "bad" kid, who was the son of the minister's best friend.

The friend named this son after the minister. The son raised hell, did some bad things and left home as a young man. He has now returned as a middle aged man and wants to have conversations about life, grace and forgiveness with the old minister. I'm curious to get to the end to see how things turn out for him and the minister.


----------------------------------------------------------

Let me see if I can get this thing into another gear here.

Fascinating person this Temple Grandin. Besides designing humane slaughter facilities she wrote a book called Thinking in Pictures, is autistic and a University professor and consultant to large corporations.

I heard her talking on All Things Considered with Terry Gross the other night. She has compassion for animals and people and a practical outlook that allows her to contribute to the well-being of both.

Cool.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Wishing you a good Friday and a relaxing weekend.

Peace to you and yours