Monday, January 31, 2005

Ads - A New Look - Old Look?

I started to fill in the edges of my blog with advertisement graphics today.

I'll see how it goes. It kind of reminds of an old webpage from the 80's with blinking banners and stuff that people did just because they could. On the other hand I'm trying to make CafeJack more appealing visually.

Not too many people want to read page after page of text on a computer. The advertising pictures give your eye, and maybe your mind, a break.

The downsides are the page will take longer to load (probably way too long for a dialup user..but you can always subscribe to RSS if you wanted to read-only) and some graphics are distracting when you are trying to read.

I wondered where all those little ads came from on some blogs and wanted some for my space. I like the look of Boing Boing: A Directory of Wonderful Things. Lot's of colorful things.

It's funny in a way that it used to be desirable to have a personal webpage without ads. Now I'm sticking them on this page voluntarily. I think a blog can be more like a newspaper or magazine than a traditional personal webpage. People expect to see ads.

I was home with a cold today and found this link from a Monster.com advertisement. You can sign up and get all the little ads your heart desires. It's a firm called Commission Junction. Their claim to fame is, "Online marketing solutions: performance-based affiliate programs & search marketing."