Sunday, November 12, 2006

Tofurky - A Delicious Vegetarian Feast - Maybe

I can hardly believe it but I'm going Tofurky this Thanksgiving.



Posted by Picasa


I was at the local Sno-Isle Natural Food Co-op to pick up some nutritional yeast, a good nutritional supplement for vegetarians and some Couscous, a quick cooking semolina wheat pasta - when I spotted this complete Thanksgiving dinner in the frozen food section.

It includes (as you can see on the box) - a Tender Juicy Stuffed Tofu Roast, 8 Delicious Cranberry-Apple, Potato Dumplings, Rich Tofurky "Giblet" & Mushroom Gravy and best of all - Our Signature ....

Tofurky Jurky Wishstix

I'm thinking with the right herbs it's going to be a real good meal.

I have a lot of frozen peach slices from fresh peaches I got at the Farmer's Market last summer - so I'll make some peach pies and probably some peach/blueberry/banana smoothies. I'm thinking about making some more fresh pumpkin pies if I can find some good sugar pumpkins around Thanksgiving. It's fun to play with the pumpkins.

__________________________________


I made a good soup today to have while we watch the football game.

Sauteed some onion, diced peeled potatoes, fresh frozen garlic (from
Trader Joe's) and a couple of tablespoons of Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Seasoning Blends.

Added a can of red kidney beans, a can of black beans, a can of corn, a package of Boca crumbles, baby carrots, sea salt, a little pepper, garlic powder, Rotini pasta, and a few tablespoons of nutritional yeast.

Let it simmer for an hour and a half or so, and serve with a crusty Baguette.

I generally don't use things like Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Seasoning Blend - but someone gave us some and it works good for soups. The one I used has chilies, toasted onion, brown sugar, dehydrated garlic, green bell pepper, dehydrated onion, red bell pepper, paprika and vinegar powder in it. It's salt free if you are interested in cutting back on sodium.