Saturday, November 11, 2006

Insomnia Can Be Fun!




___________________________


I saw the new book Take a Nap! Change Your Life mentioned in an article in the Toronto Star called The modern world killed off the nap and it sounded right up my alley.

I've never been a good sleeper. Never liked to go to bed. Tossed and turned and wrapped myself up in the sheets like a mummy. Generally I don't worry about it because I like being up when it's quiet in the middle of the night and consider myself lucky that my mind runs at a fairly high rate of speed allowing me to think a lot.

The only problem is when I'm on a 9 to 5 type schedule and I go to bed at 10 or 11 pm and get up at 1 or 2 am, things start dragging a little later in the afternoon. It sometimes starts to catch up with me later in the work week and I find myself getting distracted and doing things like leaving my car unlocked with the keys on the dashboard or something like that.

I was getting a checkup from my Doc this week and mentioned my lack of sleep routine and he decided to give me a script for some sleeping pills (Ambien). I was hoping for Lunesta (the one that causes the glowing green moth to show up in your room) but what the heck I thought I'd try the Ambien.

I've tried them twice now and they aren't really working, although I suppose it's still a little early to give up, there still may be some interesting side effects that make them worth taking. At a minimum given Ambien's Strange Side Effects I'll have a potential excuse for why I munch out on anything tasty in the wee hours of the morning.

My doctor never prescribes anything interesting. Generally he gives me advice like - get more exercise or stop eating so much. I like him but he just isn't a pill guy. Probably for the best.

He isn't like a friend of mine's doctor who gave him a prescription for what sounded like Desoxyn, a legal variation of metamphetamines, for insomnia. He told me he took one on Saturday and was up all weekend.

Weeeeeeeee!

I'm pretty much up all weekend anyway so I'll probably just stay natural - try to eat a little less, get a little more exercise and take plenty of naps.