Thursday, April 27, 2006

Let's Get Jesus Back - by Bill Moyers

Bill Moyers writes about Jesus upsetting the tables of the money-changers who had taken over the temple. This distortion of Christianity made Jesus angry. Bill Moyer's writes there are things that Christians should be angry about today as well.

Christians should be angry that all kids don't have access to a good education, that people work full time and are unable to afford basic necessities such as healthy food and medical care. Christians should be angry that mentally ill or addicted people are not given the medical and psychological help they need but are left to fend for themselves on the streets or warehoused in prisons. Christians should be angry at a government that promotes torture as acceptable. Christians should be angry that people under the guise of Christianity, preach a litany of hate.

We need to get the Jesus back who speaks in Matthew Chapter 25 -

“For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger and you welcomed me. I was naked and you gave me clothing. I was sick and you took care of me. I was in prison and you visited me.”