Monday, April 24, 2006

Wayne Dyer - Get Up Early When It's Quiet

Not sure if you ever watch Wayne Dyer on PBS? He was on last night...talking and talking and talking. He's some sort of a shill for PBS nowadays I guess. I don't think he's all that bad, or all that good - but he has some sort of interesting things to say, that resonate with me. He told a long story about a butterfly landing on his finger and staying there for a couple of hours. In Wayne's world, the butterfly was mystically connected to a friend of his. The butterfly was trying to talk to Wayne. I shouldn't make fun of him, because I'm not totally sane either - but - the story sounded fake to me. Maybe it's true and it's just a cool mysterious thing that happened.

Wayne Dyer used a part of a poem by Rumi -
The breeze at dawn

Has secrets to tell you

Don't go back to sleep

You must ask

For what you really want

Don't go back to sleep

People are going back and forth

Across the doorsill

Where the two worlds touch

The door is round and open

Do not go back to sleep

Rumi


He was promoting the idea of getting up at 3 am or thereabouts to connect to the still quiet source. He uses the word source to point to God, or the spirit, or some all-connecting essence of the universe (I'm not sure) - but I do like the idea of getting up really early in the morning before things get going. It's a great time to think - work - pray. It's also fun, in a different way, to get up really early in a big city and watch and listen as the city wakes up. You should try it some times.