Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Lead Me Home

From the hymn "Precious Lord" by Thomas Andrew Dorsey -

"Precious Lord, take my hand, Lead me on, let me stand!
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn,
Through the storm, through the night
Lead me on to the light,
Take my hand, precious Lord, lead me home."

__________________________

Thomas Andrew Dorsey was a young black musician living in Chicago in the 1930's. He was out of town for a musical performance, when he received word that his wife had died during childbirth. The next night his newborn son died as well. He wrote the hymn "Lead Me Home" while recovering from those losses.
__________________________

"As the Lord gave me these words and melody, He also healed my spirit. I learned that when we are in our deepest grief, when we feel farthest from God, this is when He is closest, and when we are most open to His restoring power. And so I go on living for God willingly and joyfully, until that day comes when He will take me and gently lead me home." - Testimony by Thomas Andrew Dorsey