Monday, February 06, 2006

Balance and Tone

I sometimes wonder what a person reading my blog thinks the "point" is.

There really is no point. I tend to think of my blog as a sort of poor-man's Reader's Digest where you find a variety of topics. I might be writing, or pointing to articles, about technology, religion, education, philosophy, books, music..etc.

It really depends on what interests me at the time, and what's happening in my life.

One thing I choose not to do is make my blog overly personal in regards to what I'm doing day to day. I'm involved in hospice and CASA/VGAL activities now that are tremendously moving..emotional...meaningful, but I will not write about those things in this Blog. I will say one of the most important lessons I'm learning so far is perspective.

The only reason I mention this is to let anyone who may read this blog know the reason why you might see writing that seems to have a particular tone - and then jumps from that tone to something totally different e.g. writing about death then writing about the Seahawks. It's how life works. At least if you want to experience the fullness of life. There is suffering and joy and hope and hopelessness and whole range of things going on around you.

For example for the last week or so I have been posting religious, spiritual, philosophical thoughts. I find this helps me put some order to things when I have, or I am involved with other people who have, experienced loss.

We all struggle to maintain balance in our life, and a positive tone. Sometimes we are out of balance for awhile, but that's okay.

I return to the Mind, Body, Spirit, Friends/Family parts of my life on a daily basis to see how things are going and try and re-allocate my time and energy to balance an area that may need a little shoring up.

Everyday try to do a little mind work, say a prayer, move a little, and be nice to family/friends/strangers - that's about it.

__________________________________


There's any number of authors, consultants, gurus who would like to help you balance your life. I was a facilitator for Stephen Covey's "Seven Habits" at one point in my life - because I found the techniques in his book were effective for me, and wanted to help pass them on to others.

If you only looked at one thing from Covey I'd check out the listening piece - Seek First to Understand and Then to be Understood.

I think I'll review some of that material today using the Seven Habits Discussion Guide: Table of Contents

Wishing you a fine Monday and beginning of this week as we remember all the things we have to give thanks for. We are truly blessed.