Monday, August 15, 2005

The Burning Man Project :: Welcome Home

"I'd like to go sometime" he thought to himself...while pondering a comparison to his life and the life of Walter Mitty

"I wonder if I could go in a nicely appointed motor home?"

"Preferably with a driver so I don't have to worry about any potential desert related chemical imbalances effecting my navigational capability."

"Satellite TV and high speed internet, in case I get overly stimulated or bored."

"Air conditioning and a nice comfy bed."

"A good lawyer and bail money if things get too wild in Reno."

It's that time of year again, nearing the end of summer, getting close to Labor Day and time for me to daydream about going to Burning Man.

Gerlach is a little over 600 miles for me. I have two weeks from today to think about travel plans. I'll more than likely just read about the festival on the web; but you never know. I can only imagine what it might be like to be there.

I'll more than likely, once again this year, experience Burning Man by looking at the web. Even though I like to watch, as much as the next person, there's nothing like Being There.

Sorry for the odd juxtaposition...but Walty Mitty and Chance The Gardener stick together in my mind as two ordinary seeming people with inner lives far from the day to day world most of us are familiar with. Dreams and Naivete, Walter and Chance, Fantasy and Innocence, might be what Burning Man is about.

I'll never know until I go. In the meantime here's a cool Burning Man photo gallery from wdydwyd.com