Saturday, July 30, 2005

Time for a New TV?

One of the problems, if you could call it that, with TV's nowadays is they seem to last forever. Back in the good old days before solid state electronics, TV's were fairly unreliable. Even small towns had their own TV repairman and shop. He would come to your house to fix your TV, or if that wasn't possible, take it back to his shop. You could also take tubes from your TV and radio into the shop for testing. Tube testers were fairly common devices in stores, being in some large grocery stores , for example. You could check a tube, buy a new one if necessary and get a bottle of milk all in one trip.

I have kept four TV's over the last couple of decades. They all work fine and I don't know what I'd do with them if I wanted to get rid of them, so I put a four-way powered splitter in my basement, and have a TV on each floor of the house. One of the "keepers" is an RCA wooden console mode, another is an RCA 13 channel small TV we bought when we got married...plus a couple of other newer ones. I don't have one of the new fancy flat screens or high definition TV's yet.

Maybe someday I'll consolidate into a single HDTV set up (but I doubt it). I'll probably end up with five TV's, six, seven...twenty, depending on how long I'm around. I used to go into a cool bar/dance spot in Bozeman Montana that had a wall of old black and white TV's, with the sound turned down, going at all times. I'd kind of like a funky entertainment room like that with 10 or 12 channels all going at once, to serve as an "art" piece. Not sure if my significant other would be so inclined though.

I suppose I could be like Hootin Houghton I guess and shoot at my old TV's.

Hootin got his nickname because when he drank he liked to occasionally let out a super loud joyful whoop. It was something to behold. Not a single whoop, more of a barrage of whoops combined with arm flailing and jumping around. He'd do his whoop at random times in bars which would impress and sometimes startle (or scare) people who didn't know him.

Warning: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME

Once before I was of legal age to drink, a friend and I visited Hootin at his ramshackle bachelor pad out in the Montana countryside. He was a generous man when it came to sharing his spirit(s) and we were hoping to have a nip or two with him. We had a few laughs and drinks. It was hard not to notice his TV screen had a single bullet hole in it. This was before the day of the Fox network, but apparently there was something annoying enough on the tube, even in those days, that Hootin had felt inclined to blow a hole in it.

Hoot's place was way out in the hills (good for stopping stray bullets), he didn't have anyone living with him or any neighbors near by...making indoor target shooting a safe, if not sane, activity.

-------------------------

Sony Official Online Store

FREE shipping on all Sony TVs. Plus, FREE Premier In-Home Delivery & Installation on TVs 30" or above.

Banner

No Interest until 2007 on all Sony products when you apply for Sony Financial Services. Valid July 15-August 15, 2005 only.

Banner

Save up to $1000 on select SONY TVs at the Official Sony Store