Saturday, July 23, 2005

Pat Metheny Group

I caught part of Pat Metheny on Austin City Limits tonight.

Quite enjoyable.

I'd recommend the album "Still Life Talking" with it's best-known piece, "Last Train Home" as a good introduction to the Pat Matheny Group. I only say that because I own that album (or more accurately a cassette version) and love the "Last Train Home". If you were going to describe a train ride musically I can't think of a better way, not to say a good fiddle tune like Orange Blossom Special doesn't have it's own unique appeal. Pat Matheny's train is a different ride.

Reading the reviews of his other works makes me wish I owned some more of his music for listening pleasure.

Pat Matheny is classified as a jazz guitarist but he's in a league of his own. If I had to describe his music in one word it would be "dreamlike". Long beautiful riffs that come back on themselves and then go out somewhere new.

------------------------------------