Saturday, October 30, 2004

Is a Burrito a Sandwich?

Sometimes even the Google machine can't help answer a question.

The Google Search: Is a burrito a sandwich? returns many hits for school lunch menus.

I was visiting some place in the blogosphere earlier this week where this question was being discussed and I have been obsessed with it since.

Initially I thought a burrito would be a sandwich if you made it with bread and a sandwich would be a burrito if you made it with a tortilla.

In my kitchen laborotory I have created what appeared to be a "burrito" by combining traditional burrito and sandwich ingredients - a tortilla, ham, cheese and then placing them in a microwaver. I have also observed, and participated in, the making of a "sandwich" using lefse (Norwegian tortilla), lutefisk and swedish meatballs.

After meditating for a few hours early one morning; I had a vision that everything can be considered a sandwich if we think of a sandwich as "something in between something else". For example, an atom could be thought of as an electron sandwich with a tasty filling of protons and neutrons. Here's some instructions for Building an Atom.


You could expand the "it's all a sandwich" view to the include the universe - Made up of galaxy sandwiches; and closer to home, the solar system (a sun filled sandwich) inside a nicely layered set of planets.

Back on planet earth though...I'd really like to try one of the Primanti Brothers Restaurant - Pittsburgh's Most Famous Sandwiches. They have coleslaw and fries on them. Look good. Or any of these MAXIM ONLINE: tasty sammies.

I'm going to go make a sandwich.