Monday, October 25, 2004

Attacking My Furnace

This weekend got me thinking about the scenes in the movie A Christmas Story where the old man goes into the basement to fix the furnace.

Our furnace is really big and old. I have to fiddle around with it; oil the bearings, tighten the belt, change filters...every so often. This weekend I was trying to figure out how to fix a slight scraping noise it makes when the blower starts up.

What a mess...I think I disturbed dirt that's been in there for a few decades. I was covered with a mixture of dust/dirt/oil. I tried to vacuum the dust up that I knocked off the blower (it's really hard to get to...you don't want to know).

In the end, after I fired her up again, my wife showed me a coat that was hanging by one of the forced air vents upstairs, covered with many little pieces of dust/floaty things.

Oh well...it's maybe a little quieter now. I got the bearing cups full of oil and vacuumed it out as best I could. I can't help but think it's going to be a challenge when it finally craps out, to find anyone (besides me) willing to work on it. It's an odd old piece of machinery (was oil fired at one time...then converted to natural gas) that seems to be sort of fabricated in place. The blower frame is embedded in the concrete floor and has some tack welds that the installer made after it was put in (making it a bear to disassemble should it some to that).

-------------------------------------------

I'm looking forward to a great week. Hope things are looking up for you. Halloween next Sunday!

I think we might get quite a few trick or treaters. I hope so.

I need to be off to work, just a couple of other quick things...

Good "thought of the day" on Friendship at Interlude


Friendship is so much more than a word, a handshake,and a smile. It's the ability to see the inner beauty in someone.
Vonda K. Van Dyke


--------------------------------------------------

I was reading a daily devotional today that says,


God offers us peace in the midst of life's storms.


I know for me, just stopping to read a devotional in the morning is very helpful.

I can slow down a little and think about Paul's letter to the Philippians when he wrote:

“Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things” (Phil 4:8).


I clipped Paul's quote from the letter out of this article JCN Summer 2002 Editorial

Take good care of your self so you can take good care of those you love and that love you.