Saturday, January 10, 2004

Waiting To Go On Airplane - Sometimes It's Best to Fess Up

Happy Saturday to you.

I'm waiting to go on an airplane ride this morning. Pretty excited about it. I love airplanes, worked on them for twenty years, been on lot's of test flights, been around airplanes since I was a little kid when my stepdad had Piper Cubs and would let me fly using the stick from the backseat.

Have you thought about what Pete Rose, Richard Nixon and Bill Clinton have in common?

They all did something they shouldn't have and then lied about it. The problem wasn't so much in the act initially as the lies to try and cover it up. We try to teach our kids that you can be forgiven for the wrong things you've done, just tell the truth. Even as adults we can't always summon up the courage it takes to just tell the truth. Granted there are all kinds of complications with telling the truth in any particular case. Probably most difficult would be that telling the truth may hurt people we care about.

I don't know.....it's tough. We're all sinners. We all have vices. Probably the best thing would be to be a whole person and not do things you have to lie about in one area of your life while acting holy and righteous, upstanding in another. If you want to do bad stuff get a job where that's acceptable. At least then you won't have to lie about it. I guess I'd say "If you're going to be a bank robber be the best danged bank robber ever." I'm not so sure I think bank robbing is equivalent to cheating and lying....honor among thieves. Can you rob banks and be ethical? Maybe. Can you cheat and lie and be ethical? Of course not.

Whatever else Pete Rose has done with his asinine lies about betting on baseball...one thing that is missed with all the hoopla about the baseball hall of fame is that Pete Rose is giving gamblers a bad name. I'm considering giving up sports wagering since he's tainted the name so badly by correlating being a liar and betting on baseball.

"I dint bet on baseball, er er er I mean I bet on baseball when I was a manager but dint when I was a player, I mean I did bet on baseball while I was a player but dint ever never bet on my own team, er er I mean I did bet on baseball while I was a player but I dint ever bet agin my own team....."

Gawdd.

I guess we need to remember that being able to swing a bat, run, throw and catch a baseball is not correlated to being an ethical/good person or having an intellectual capability exeeding that of a moth. I saw the bright light and couldn't help flying at it....

Good day to you.