Saturday, January 17, 2004

Basketball - "Prairie Home Companion" - "Car Talk" - "This American Life" - "Whad'Ya Know"

It's NCAA basketball day at Cafe Jacks today. Come on down, have a good strong cup of coffee and some conversation. We don't serve any of that ballerina water around here.

Iowa Hawkeyes are playing the Illinois Fighting Illini right now on ESPN 1. There are fourteen college basketball games on regular cable today. Yes! I haven't had a day off for awhile so I'm looking forward to just writing, watching some basketball and being with my family.

I was at a great high school basketball game last night. My daughters are both Varsity basketball (and volleyball) players. They are great. Good shooters, fast, strong, good rebounders, smart, good looking...you name it. And I am not biased I live in a place similar to Lake Wobegon where the women are strong, the men are good looking and all the children are above average.

Garrison Keeler is such a great story teller and has such a wonderful calm voice. I highly recommend you check out some of his shows either live on NPR or by visiting Prairie Home Companion.

A few other NPR programs I believe are really worth listening to and very funny are -

Car Talk. Lot's of good stuff on their web page, check out the worst cars of the millenium. My Vega came in number two. I used to drive with a case of oil in the back...at a gas station it was fill it up with oil and check the gas. Someone who owned a Vega said they, "Burned so much oil, it was single handedly responsible for the formation of OPEC."

This American Life. Ira Glass is another great storyteller with a good voice. Check out the stories about people's first day on the job (Especially the Squirrel Cop Story)

Michael Feldman’s Whad’Ya Know. There is some funny stuff to read on the web page (I recommend thanks for the memos) but you really need to hear this show to appreciate it.

Have you ever noticed that jokes on the internet or via email are generally not very funny? Not all the time of course but just in general. I think the spoken word is the key, timing, body language all play a role in any human communications.

I'm going to sign off for awhile.

I hope you have a great Saturday. Get some rest or do something aerobic.

Don't Worry Be Happy

Remember to Breathe in through your nose nice and slow and then blow it out nice and slow through your mouth....

Unless you happen to work in this lab where breathing is prohibited -

Lab Safety Memo.

Jack