Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Flan From the Butte Heritage Cookbook

Good Wednesday morning to you. It's just after midnight January 7 early in the morning and this new year 2004.

Have you ever made flan? I love that stuff. What I actually know how to make from scratch off the top of my head is custard. Custard and flan are sort of like first cousins in the food world. Custard uses the whole egg; flan only the yolk.

I made some flan last night from a mix my wife bought and was wondering how to make it from scratch. I looked in my Butte Heritage Cookbook and found this recipe in the Oriental section for flan.

8 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
2 cups fresh milk
1 lemon rind or vanilla for flavoring
3/4 cup brown sugar

Dissolve brown sugar in 1/4 cup water and cook over moderate heat until the sugar browns. Line a suitable mold with the mixture and set aside.

Scald the milk in a double boiler for 15 minutes. Blend the egg yolks with the sugar, milk and flavoring.

Pour into mold lined with carmelized sugar. Place this into a bigger pan half-filled with water and bake until mixture becomes firm.

Cool before removing from the mold.

Georgene Cachola
Georgena served in the Peace Corps in the Phillippines.