Thursday, January 08, 2004

Appearances Can Be Deceiving - A Story - Royal Dog In Trouble - Les McCann and Eddie Harris - Baily

Good Thursday morning to you. Hope this finds you well.

I've been thinking about a little story about how a butt crack changed my life. Contrary to how it sounds, this is a story for young people or anyone thinking about "appearances" being too important.

When I was around 12 years old I loved to ski. The ski area at Red Lodge was about 40 miles from where I lived. We would bum rides from whoever we could to take us skiing. Someone's brother, dad, teacher. One of the people who took us was a teacher named Mr. Beel.

Mr. Beel had come to rural Montana from Berkeley California to teach high school kids about science. In my book he was cool, smart, funny. He had an old Studebaker that would barely make it up the hills to Red Lodge. The ceiling cover was coming off in the back. We would take turns holding it up with one hand to keep it off our heads.

I grew up in an area of Montana and in a family where most people did not have a lot of money. I was lucky to have a pair of skiis, a peanut butter sandwich and cocoa for lunch and money for a lift ticket. I didn't have cool skiis, boots, or clothes. That was a problem for me for a short time in my life. I was at an age where "appearances" were important. Skiing is a sport where you can see people who have a lot of money and show it with how they dress, what kind of equipment they have.

I was in that early adolescent phase and became self-concious and a little worried about looking like a dork in my jeans with my non top of the line equipment. That is until I was saved by Mr. Beel's butt crack (he has no clue I'm sure).

Here's how I had my epiphany.

My intellectual hero the overweight, hippie teacher, scientist, ski-car driver Mr. Beel didn't have cool ski clothes or equipment either. But he was a cool guy. One day we were at the ski run and I walked into the cafeteria and saw Mr. Beel chatting with some people about something. He was happy, they were happy, he was animated they were animated....and his butt crack was hanging out for everyone to see. No one seemed to care or notice. He didn't care. He was oblivious to how he looked. At that moment I decided I didn't care how I looked either....I haven't tied my shoes, brushed my hair, or worn a belt for the last 40 years.

Back on point again. What actually happened was at twelve I realized no one really cares what I look like. People care what they look like. The main thing is to be happy...and forget about your clothes or your butt crack hanging out or whatever.

Afterthought.......After I wrote this I thought I should add a few words of caution. If you do walk around with body parts exposed; two things to keep in mind (a) you don't want to hurt other peoples eyes (fat people like me should have to wear shirts)...Did you read about that golf course in Iowa or somewhere where they forced fat old men to put on shirts? I say "hear hear" to that idea my good gentlemen and women and (b) you don't want to get arrested...well probably not anyway.

You've heard the old saying about walking around with your pant's unzipped right? It pays to advertise baby ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------

What else could we talk about this morning. That's sort of a royal we..since I know you can't talk to me.

I see one of the royal dogs is in trouble. A royal dog of the canine variety that is. This has to be important news; it made it all the way to the Topeka Kansas Capital Journal where I clipped the AP story below. From what I gather not only did this dog go on a biting spree, she then tried to pin the rap on another dog.

Here's the AP wire -

"A dog belonging to Princess Anne attacked a royal maid five days after it fatally mauled one of Queen Elizabeth II's beloved corgis, Buckingham Palace said. Florence the bull terrier bit the maid's leg at the royal Sandringham estate in eastern England, the palace said. The woman was treated for a minor bite following Saturday's attack and didn't need to go to the hospital.

Five days earlier, Florence savaged a corgi named Pharos at Sandringham, injuring him so badly that he had to be put down. Media reports had widely blamed another of Princess Anne's bull terriers, Dotty, for the corgi incident, but Buckingham Palace cleared her Tuesday and blamed Florence instead.

Buckingham Palace refused to comment on whether Florence would have to be put down after biting the maid, who was in her 50s, according to a report in The Sun newspaper.

British media reported that Florence had no history of violent behavior, unlike Dotty, who bit two children in a park in 2002 and landed Princess Anne with a $880 fine."


---------------------------------------------------------


Have you ever listened to Les McCann and Eddie Harris Album Swiss Movement Live at Montreax? Damn that is one fine album. The best track on it is "Compared to What" which I thought was written by Roberta Flack but apparently by Gene McDaniels

Here is a link to the

Les McCann and Eddie Harris Album Swiss Movement Live at Montreax

and to the

Compared to What Lyrics

It's some great jazz saxophonic coolness baby. Turn it up real loud and it will pump you up. I got turned on to it one summer when I was working in the Grand Teton's and living in an employee dorm. There was a wild man (in a good sense) living next door and every afternoon/night when he got home he would crank that song and we'd rock out.

In case you were wondering what in the hell this has to do with Princess Anne's corgi one of the lines in that song is

Tired old ladies kissin' dogs
Hate the human, love that stinking mutt (I can't stand it!)
Try to make it real compared to what?


I can sympathize. Sometime I'll tell you the story about my crazy aunt and uncle (I mean that in a good way) who lived in a boxcar in the Big Sky country in the big open. They didn't have any kids but they had chiuauas they treated like kids. My sister and I hated those dogs. They were always sick, with little casts, or wraps on their legs. They would ride on the floor of the front of their car and sort of stink the place up. Maybe I'm making this up. I love dogs. I had a little dog that was truly my best friend (animal friend). I'd talk to him all the time. Not in a weird Son of Sam like way but like a normal person who talks to dogs, crows, cats, birds. Hey what's normal anyway?

I'm going to stick a picture of my dog here. Even though it makes me sad since he's gone now. Man I loved that guy. Like they say on that Horizon Air commercial you can still smell him on me and I imagine some of the people I work with may want to have a little talk with me about that ;-)




Baily was the best dog a person could want. I'm sure he's in dog heaven now.

I should be moseying along now.

Wishing you the best and wondering if you like this song too
Won't You Be My Neighbor

Hope to see you soon neighbor.

Jack