Thursday, July 01, 2010

Adding a Cigarette Lighter Socket to a Concours

I added a cigarette lighter socket to the Connie tonight - not because I want to smoke cigs will riding but to allow me to charge a cell phone or GPS.

There are unused accessory leads under the left fairing pocket. The blue and white wire is hot and the yellow and black wire is ground. These wires aren't switched so if you leave something plugged in that draws much current it will discharge the battery even though you turn the key off.

I used -

One 12V Marine Cigarette lighter socket, panel mount outlet $8.95 from ebay.

One Universal USB Mini Car Charger Adapter $6.99 from eforcity.

Two male crimp-on 1/4 inch quick connects from Radio Shack - $1.99 for a pack of 8.

One 1 1/8 inch hole saw from Harbor Freight. I bought the 18 piece hole saw kit that has hole saws from 3/4 to 5 inches so I could get the 1 1/8 inch saw - $9.99

About 2 feet of 16 gauge wire from my box of misc wire.



Success
Originally uploaded by Jack Crossen

I put some additional pictures at Concours Accessory Jack - a set on Flickr