Saturday, October 14, 2006

Come Saturday Morning

I'm really glad it's the weekend and I have nothing to do.

Having nothing to do is much more appealing to me at 50 something than it was when I was a younger lad. I don't have to get up at any particular time, nothing to do, nothing to see, nothing to say. I can read a little, write a little, nap a little. Whatever I want.

The whole day is open - no plans at all.

I can daydream.

I've been thinking about how a person might untether themselves from the neighborhood lately.

A trailer sounds pretty good in some ways.


It wouldn't have to be a nice cozy looking shiny Airstream, but that would be cool. I like the idea of having something you could unhook and leave somewhere while you drive around in your tow vehicle. A small trailer like the one on the right could be towed by a nice comfy car. There's all sorts of RV Parks that offer one night camping hookups for around 30 dollars and monthly rates that run around 300 to 400 dollars. You could poke around the country until you found a place you liked then settle in for as long as you wanted. Bring your dog and a wireless laptop. You'd be set.

There are all sorts of ways you could set yourself free.
It wouldn't have to be a camp trailer for your Home Away From Home you could ride a bicycle with panniers and a tent, a motorcyle, the Greyhound bus, or Amtrak.

I'm wondering if - when I have the time - I'll have the energy to get up and go? or if I'll be happier to sit in my tethered home. I hope it's the former. Life seems to short to sit still too long. Although sitting in that cube for the last 20 plus years has worked okay for some things it's not the end - I hope.


Salvation Mountain
Originally uploaded by shadowplay
.
A fellow, or a gal, could get themselves a station wagon and head for the open road. I've often thought a sort of ideal life would be to have a way to travel and support yourself by selling something (legal). Huckleberry jam or something like that.

Or maybe some nice hot soups in the evening or wintertime and cool kool-aid in the hot summer.

I suppose a guy could always just live in a van down by the river.



________________________


"Come Saturday Morning" is the name of a song from the 1969 movie The Sterile Cuckoo starring Liza Minnelli.

The movie didn't really stick in my mind, although it was nominated for 3 Oscars, and gets good marks from the Amazon reviewers. Bits of the song are stuck in my mind for ever.

Come Saturday morning
I'm goin' away with my friend

We'll travel for miles in our Saturday smiles
And then we'll move on
But we will remember long after Saturday's gone


__________________________

Too Far for a Weekend? Try Week-Long Last Minute Gateways