Tuesday, October 31, 2006

A Bad Idea for Halloween - From WikiHow

How to Give Healthy Treats for Halloween - WikiHow

I don't know about you but if someone gave me different flavors of popcorn in small cellophane bags tied with a ribbon, a little packet of organic raisins, a granola bar, or a low-sugar trans fat-free cookie from a health food store for a halloween treat - I'd be soaping their windows.

That's the candy talking...I wouldn't really soap anyone's windows. We talked big about that sort of thing when I as a kid but never actually followed through. If I soaped anyones windows now the neighborhood watch would be on me like perfume on Pepé Le Pew.

When I was a kid and someone gave me a healthy treat, or anything homemade for that matter, - I was bummed out. Of course nowadays anything that isn't store bought and pre-wrapped would end up in the trash anyway.

If you want to try something different, give kids jumbo sized Hershey bars or even a regular sized candy bar, and see their eyes light up.

Halloween is once a year - you can eat granola and sawdust the other 364 days.

________________________________

Postscript - It's the day after Halloween and I ended up not following my own advice. My apologies to the three teenagers that ended up with the small boxes of raisins. I was running out of candy by the time you came. Sorry about that boys, I figured as teens you'd be able to handle the disappointment better than some small trick or treaters.

We had one interesting request from two scruffy little trick or treaters last night who asked if they could have some pumpkins from the porch. We didn't get around to carving pumpkins this year but we had made a fall display with various items including some pumpkins. These little guys asked if they could have a pumpkin because they wanted to carve their own jack o' lanterns. B got them each a bag to carry them in and they left lugging some fairly good-sized pumpkins.

We missed out on the first part of trick or treating because we were down at Swedish where B had an emergency root canal yesterday afternoon and we didn't get home until about an hour after dark. Before we left we were trying to think how we could handle trick or treating since we knew we would be home late. Maybe we could ask a friend to come over? or leave treats on the porch? Neither one of those options seemed good so we ended up leaving our front door unlocked.

Actually we did leave our front door unlocked by accident; with various laptops, cameras etc laying around in the living room. We were joking when we realized our absent-mindedness that we should have left a note on the door "come on in - help yourself to some candy." Nothing was missing, although I'm sure the neighborhood watch would be sorely disapointed in my carelessness.

_____________________________



Kids