Saturday, March 25, 2006

Cream Reunion Special

My local Seattle PBS station KCTS Channel 9 is airing a Cream Reunion Special right now.

It's great to see those old codgers up there rockin and rollin. Eric Clapton is the youngest of the bunch at 60. Cream wasn't around long - only a couple of years from 1966 to 1968, but they were one of my favorite groups as a kid. I had an 8-track "Best of Cream" that we used to listen to a lot while cruising around the Montana countryside.

They just did Robert Johnson's "Crossroads", now it's "White Room" and they finish the show with "Sunshine of My Love".

They are a little more subdued than the 60's versions of the songs, but still great.

I drove 40 miles to an Eric Clapton concert once, but he didn't show up - he was sick from his heroin addiction. He looks good now.

The band Cream consists of Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker on drums and Jack Bruce the bass player. If you have never listened to their music they have a lot of great songs that would make a nice addition to anyone's collection who appreciates the music of the 60's or just good rock and roll in general. Cream influenced lots of other bands - The Grateful Dead, Dave Matthews...and many others.

I think I'll buy a CD version of that old 8-track.



The Very Best of Cream


Disraeli Gears


Fresh Cream