Friday, June 10, 2005

They Paved Paradise

I had a chance to take a few snapshots of two spots in the city I live in today.

One is a beautiful old city park, the other a hillside in the city being cleared and leveled to make way for development.

I pass both these spots most every day and the contrast in "planning" styles has been of interest to me for some time.

They Paved Paradise is my blogging effort to record a bit of that contrast.

This particular space being clearcut is "paradise", for some kids, animals and other people who live/walk/drive/bike by that spot. We have a very short supply of that kind of wild greenspace left in this area.

It saddens me to see it go.

---------------------------------


Joni Mitchell of course, was the artist who came up with the phrase "They Paved Paradise" in her Song "Big Yellow Taxi". I only mention that because, although it seems obvious to a person of my generation where that phrase comes from it may not be so obvious to everyone.

---------------------------------

Banner