Thursday, June 23, 2005

Monkey Mind

I woke up this morning thinking.

That's good and not so good.

Good, because cognitive ability is a sign I'm alive.

Not so good because I was using my monkey mind, or in other words racing from one useless, to not so useless, thought to another.

Buddhists and Christian Contemplatives have some things to say about taming our monkey minds using simple meditative techniques. I've thought and read about Buddhhism and particularly Zen Buddhism for over 30 years now. I can't say I'm any closer to understanding for sure...but some of it seems to be starting to sink in.

The concepts of compassion, letting go, beginner's mind and calm clear meditative states are all very beautiful to think about; it's the implementation that's a bear.

The shortest way I can think of to explain my current learnings -

Eat when hungry, sleep when tired.

In other words do what is right for you at the time. Let it flow. Let it go. Embrace the present moment, smell the flowers, feel the sun, breathe the air. Wash the dishes...

Be aware of your breath.

Use your awareness of your breathing to calm and focus your self.

It is all very beautiful, and at some point (or points) you will be able to let go and let God as they say. It really isn't so important how you envision God as that you tap into the source of energy and compassion available to all humanity.

For my money I'd learn all I could about the tested methods as a basis of my journey. Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Christianity all have important (and maybe more important common-sense) things to say about letting go and going with the flow.

I'd be a little leery of a "new age" approach that created a unique "designer religion". I think it's important to have some time-tested anchor so you don't get too far out into woo-woo land. I'd stick with one of the big four as my baseline and then work out from there.

-------------------------------------


I have to say that we are all human, all too human. I wouldn't want anyone to think I had found the answer or am making a claim to some special knowledge.

I feel bad when I intellectualize a compassionate understanding of humanity and yet half an hour later get upset because of some minor thing another person has done.

We are all works in progress.

Thank God.

-------------------------------------


Finally I just wanted to mention I'd added ads for "The Body Shop" and "Patagonia" to my sold-out blog. I sold-out to the man and have way too many little ad units...but I like the look and colors, plus I'm a big fan of capitalism.

I remember the first time I went to a Body Shop in Berkeley California in the 70's. It was very impressive to us. We liked the smells and the ambience of the store. It was unlike anything we had in Montana at the time.

I associate Patagonia with good outdoor clothing. There was a Patagonia store in Bozeman, Montana when I lived there, that had nice (but not inexpensive) clothing. Plus I like the picture of that girl on the surfboad over there on the left column. The water, her strength and grace..it looks really fun.

-------------------------------------


Peace to you and yours.

May you find a calm center at least a few times in this busy day.



-------------------------------------



Contemplative Outreach

Meditation of the Week




Postscript - Friday June 24, 2005 - I don't want to paint this monkey mind concept with too broad a brush. Primates can have fine minds, even those like my friend hi monkey who has a terry cloth body and a brain made of recycled fibers. Monkey is interested in a lot of the same things I am; snacks, pictures, travel, cooking, friends, humor, learning, playing. Here's some pictures and words about monkey and his tibetan monk friends. Some people call him "monkey" but I like to call him "hi" or "hi monkey". Sharp viewers could see hi monkey sitting on the counter doing a Vanna White move with Rachel, to show a beautiful bouquet of flowers in a recent post on Cafe Jack