Sunday, September 21, 2003

Rocky Mountain Oysters

Not a good day for Seattle sports so far. Fifth inning bases loaded (with A's). Kaz is coming in.

Time for some more cookin.

I imagine some people might be wondering who is this Jack? Does he know Jack about cooking or is this a big joke.

No.

I know some things about cooking. My background is not the Cordon Bleu but I worked as a cook and went to cooking school years and years ago. My background as a professional cook was Air Bowl Lanes Columbus Montana, The Cattle Company Billings Montana and the Country Kitchen in Bemidji Minnesota.

I used to be a bartender too. My main specialties were a "ditch" (whiskey and water) or a beer (glass of Rainier). I worked at the New Atlas Bar in Columbus for a good guy named T.P. Mulvihill. He was a WWII flying ace and quite a colorful character.

I had a chance to lease and then buy my own cafe....in the 70's. Bertha's Busy Bee. Bertha wanted me to take over..it would have been an okay deal but other things came up.

I think my next recipe will not be "good eats" but rather weird eats.

This is how to make rocky mountain oysters kids. Rocky mountain oysters are like rattle snakes, rabbit, alligator and just about any other weird meat in that they taste like chicken. I've often wondered why not just eat some chicken?

Anyway I was working as a bartender and got to be friends with a butcher Odel Lien. He had saved up many "oysters" (cow testicals) from his butcher shop for a party. He knew I was a cook so he asked me to help him set up a party out at his place on the Stillwater.

He had gotten two huge black pots from somewhere. They were the kind you could hang over a fire. We cooked rocky mountain oysters in one and chicken in the other. Had a lot of beer and a lot of fun.

The recipe is this...

Get yourself some balls
Roll em in a flour/salt/pepper mixture
Drop em in some hot grease
Cook till brown
Drink 8 or 9 beers
eat

Tastes just like chicken

Happy cooking