Sunday, September 21, 2003

Enchilada Caserole and Sweet Tea Recipe

Enchilada caserole with sweet tea for brunch/lunch as the girls get ready to go to Mt. Pilchuck and I mow lawn and listen to Seahawks pregame. Go Seahawks! Go Go Mariners!

My cooking is never repeated. I don't write anything down; just make things free form. That makes eating something I've created special since I know I'll never make the exact same thing twice.

Here's my recollection of the enchilada caserole concoction:

In caserole dish, microwave hamburger with cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper and chipotle chile pepper powder (I bought that to make something for last years super bowl party). Drain grease.

I'm not going to go into details on this part but basically you layer corn tortilla chips, cheese, hamburger, sour cream, salsa in the caserole dish. Near the top add refried beans, small can of green chiles, more sour cream more cheese and top with can of sliced olives.

Bake for awhile at 350. Pour water on top of the whole thing (a cup or so...I used an empty beer bottle about 1/2 full). The water ends up making the tortilla chips into a fluffly light corn meal texture. Go outside and continue to mow your lawn for about 30 minutes. Turn oven up to 375. Take it out when the cheese is melted and starting to brown.

Serve with sweet tea

Make simple sugar by bringing a cup (at least of sugar to a slow boil...or close) until the water is clear and sugar disolved. Add a pinch of baking soda (I forget if it's powder or soda). I got the basic idea from a newspaper article about some people from Mississippi who were working up here in the Northwest and the gal said to add some baking soda or powder.

Make a tea kettle full of hot water (see this is easy)

Heat a glass pitcher up by running hot water in it.

Pour the hot water into pitcher, add simple sugar and figure out a way to hang 6 or so Lipton tea bags in it. After awhile put a couple of trays of ice in and stick it in the fridge.

I love the Destin, Pensacola, Miracle Mile, Redneck Riverra area of Florida. I like the way waitresses ask you if you want tea sweet or not sweet.

Anyway that's how I make sweet tea.

Happy cooking.