Friday, September 26, 2003

Butte Montana - Pork Chop John's Egg and Cheese Sandwich Recipe

One of my favorite places to eat or think about eating is Butte Montana. I have a Butte Heritage Cookbook that is divided into different ethnic groups. It's one of those where individuals contribute their recipes and tell a little story. Butte was one of the most ethinically diverse places imaginable in the early/mid 1900's when the mines were in full swing.

This is a simple recipe that comes from Pork Chop John's in Butte. Pork Chops is of course known for pork chop sandwiches. But this simple sandwich was my favorite.

Pork Chop's Egg and Cheese Sandwich

Put on your paper cook's hat.
Grill an egg (okay fry an egg if you don't have a grill in your kitchen)
How you fry the egg is critical...I can never quite make up my mind on the best method.
You don't want the yolk to cook. Sunny side up is tricky. With over-easy, a lot of times you start to cook the yolk which I think ruins this sandwich.
I think the best way is to start the egg and then put a tablespoon or so of water on it and cover with a lid for a minute or so.
At some point you need to add a slice of american cheese (maybe velveeta) but I like Kraft American. I know they weren't using Velveeta at PC's.
Traditionally this is served on a white bread bun with a good Mayo.
If you want a healthier version eat it on whole wheat. If you want to eat something without butter and mayo you my friend are at the wrong cafe :-)

Happy Friday