Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Acme Washington

Acme is in northwest Washington on Highway 9 about 25 miles south of the Canadian border and just a little southwest of Mount Baker.

If you enlarge this photo the text on the mural is pretty interesting. The busses carried "pets at no extra compensation, please no goats". "Ladies - no travel fears - our drivers narrations shall not be infused with profanities nor will and political or religious opinions be offered."

In the middle it says, "Today, us locals still relish our splendid isolation."

It is a nice part of Washington state and the guy who's house this is painted on is really friendly. He offered to take my picture in front of it and wanted to make sure I read the text on the mural.

I got a double espresso at the store in Acme for 80 cents and learned that it's possible to drop the ignition key for a Kawasaki Concours inside the fairing if you aren't careful when you pull it out of the ignition. It took me about 20 minutes to remove enough of the fairing so I could find my key and get back on the road.

Next time I'm up that way I want to stop at Everybody's Store in Van Zandt about 5 miles up the road from Acme.