Thursday, September 07, 2006

Spritituality and Leisure


Sunny Side Up
Originally uploaded by code poet.
The Sister's of St. Joseph of Carondelet are based in St. Paul, Minnesota. They publish a variety of books via their publishing company Good Ground Press.

They also offer a series of Online Retreats that you may find interesting. I've been reading the "Everyday Sprirituality" material and find it practical, well thought out, and not at all written from a "holier than though" frame of mind.

For example the author suggests we can find God in everyday life through leisure -
"In a word, leisure is a holy activity that is as necessary for your wholeness as is your work, whatever your work may involve. Being aware of the value of your leisure you can be more open to God in the present moment. As you take the time to be;

by -

sitting quietly and watching flowers bloom,

listening to the glorious sounds of a symphony concert,

cheering at a baseball game,

playing a vigorous game of tennis,

enjoying a funny movie with your friends,

You will be living in the House of Four Rooms. You will find real wisdom in your leisure. Thank God that you can enjoy life!"

The "House of Four Rooms" is referring to our intellectual, physical, spiritual and social/emotional needs, that we strive to balance, in our quest for wholeness, authenticity and peace of mind.

The retreat also suggests that we -

"Take a few moments of leisure right now. Close your eyes and breathe deeply. After you feel relaxed, begin to think about (and perhaps write in your journal) how you relax and free your spirit.

What do you choose to do on your days off?

What hobbies do you have? Why do you enjoy them?

Do you find any spiritual benefits in exercising, running,
walking, swimming, dancing?

How do reading, writing, listening to music, or creating art
give meaning to your life?"
Finally I like the suggestion that we think of Paul's Letter to the Corinthians (13: 4-8) -
“Love is patient, love is kind.
Love is not jealous, it does not put on airs, it is not snobbish.
Love is never rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not prone to anger, neither does it brood over injuries.
Love does not rejoice in what is wrong but rejoices with the truth.
There is no limit to love’s forbearance, to its trust, its hope, power to endure.
LOVE NEVER FAILS.”
....and replace the word "Love" with the word "I" -

“I am patient, I am kind.
I am not jealous, I do not put on airs, I am not snobbish.
I am never rude, I am not self-seeking, I am not prone to anger, neither do I brood over injuries.
I do not rejoice in what is wrong but rejoice with the truth.
There is no limit to my forbearance, to my trust, my hope, power to endure.
I NEVER FAIL.”

I know I'll never reach that state - but it makes a nice meditation nonetheless, and every so often I might come close.