Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Jesuit Websites

This Jesuit site from Singapore and Sacred Space from Jesuit's in Dublin have some nice daily reflections and prayers.

I just ran across the Singapore site yesterday. I've looked at Sacred Space off and on for awhile and find myself returning to it. The daily prayer at Sacred Space includes prayer guides with body, breathing and listening exercises to help you center yourself and quiet down enough to begin to pray, as well as good background thoughts for the simple prayers.

The Jesuit daily prayers are of course just one way to practice quieting and calming your mind to aid your own spiritual journey. I personally like the historical aspect of the Jesuits and Christianity. In my simple minded way I think of Jesuits as smart and Christian's as kind...which seems like a good combo.

In our day of designer religions, spirituality in lieu of religion, televanglists - most with a hand in your pocket, and what is loosely defined as New Age Thinking it's not too hard to get blown about by the wind, and maybe sometimes a bit lost.

Studying great philosophers and world religions gives us a foundation for a worldview to define what we see as a good life, as well as a compass to find our way back home if we stray too far from our path.

Whatever way works best for you is best.

__________________________


"Mahatma Gandhi when asked if he was a Hindu, replied, "Yes I am. I am also a Christian, a Muslim, a Buddhist and a Jew".



From the Wikipedia article on Mahatma Gandhi.