Monday, September 29, 2008

Thought of the Day

"Bad things do happen; how I respond to them defines my character and the quality of my life. I can choose to sit in perpetual sadness, immobilized by the gravity of my loss, or I can choose to rise from the pain and treasure the most precious gift I have - life itself."

Walter Anderson
Source: INTERLUDE: An Internet Retreat.

_____________________

It can be difficult in our age of instant unremitting information to come to grips with what is truly important. We each need to define what a "good life" means. I can't help but think a good life has to involve caring sometimes more for others than for ourselves.

________________________________


I like Arlo Guthrie's song "Hobo's Lullaby" and was thinking it would be kind of funny to post it as a suggestion of things to come. Watching this video isn't as funny as I thought it would be. It makes me think about all the people who have suffered economic hardship long before this current situation which is getting so much of our attention. We hold out hope for a more just world where we create economic and social structures that are good for all people.